Evidence based resources supporting Lamaze’s Six Healthy Birth Practices.
#1: Let labor begin on it’s own.
#2: Walk, move around, and change positions throughout labor.
#3: Bring a loved one, doula, or friend for continuous support.
#4: Avoid interventions that are not medically necessary.
- Understanding How Interventions Necessitate the Use of More Interventions
- Inducing Labor
- Common Medical Interventions
#5: Avoid giving birth on your back and follow your body’s urges to push.
#6: Keep mother and baby together.
- Recognizing Hunger Cues in Breastfeeding Babies
- Comprehensive Breastfeeding Guide from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Hospital “Rooming In” Better for Mom, Better for Baby
Other great resources for expectant parents:
Birthing Babies VA’s Birth Plan: bbvabirthplan